Saturday, 23 July 2016

The Beginning of my Leadership Reflection so Far

Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 1.00.55 pm.png


This is the leadership Model set out by the document Leading Through the middle. (Ministry of Education 2012)

Factors affecting the success of middle and senior leaders
There are a number of factors that influence the success of those in middle and senior leadership roles. These include:
• leadership and trust that emerges out of expertise first, not position;
• leaders’ support for and active engagement in planning how vision, policies, and practices are put into effect;
• a team culture, where the whole leadership team seeks opportunities to collaborate and actively cultivates and develops leadership capability;
• sound planning and resourcing of middle and senior leadership roles and activities;
• negotiated job descriptions that balance the management and educational leadership aspects of the role (Cranston, Tromans, and Reugebrink, 2004; Farnham, 2009);
• opportunities for leaders to engage in professional development and learning;
• school use of research evidence to inform change and develop practices that will directly or indirectly improve student outcomes. 

I feel that this is where my leadership journey began. I was promoted through my knowledge and expertise in the classroom. Now I look back and think at the beginning of my leadership I relied heavily on Systems and pedagogy and not enough on relationships/partnerships.

This is where I want to really investigate  and explore my leadership skills over the next few years. I want to ensure as a leader all staff feel motivated and supported as a team to raise student achievement. t

No comments:

Post a Comment